Seminar on “Workshop on Transportation Researches for Urban Safety”
Date: Dec 11th, 2008
Information : The International Center for Urban Safety Engineering (ICUS), the University of Tokyo, Japan and the Regional Network Office for Urban Safety (RNUS), Thailand, organized a seminar titled “Workshop on Transportation Researches for Urban Safety” at Rama Garden Hotel (Room Lilavadee) on December 11, 2008. The seminar was sponsored by the International Center for Urban Safety Engineering (ICUS), the University of Tokyo. The seminar was held in one day in which eleven speakers made presentations and the audience was almost from Thai Government. The seminar started with a speech by Dr. Shinji Tanaka, Regional Network Office for Urban Safety (RNUS) The list of speakers consists of Prof. Fumihiko Nakamura (Yokohama National University, Japan), Prof. Yasuhiko Kumagai (Kochi Tech of University, Japan), Dr. Toshio Yoshii (Kyoto University, Japan), Prof. Masao Kuwahara (University of Tokyo, Japan), Dr. Pairoj Raothanachonkun (Burapha Univ, Chonburi), Dr. Pichai Taneerananon (Prince of Songkla University, Thailand), Prof. Takashi Nakatsuji (Hokkaido University, Japan), Dr. Hidekatsu Hamaoka (Akita University, Japan), Dr. Ryota Horiguchi (i-Transport Lab, Japan), Dr. Sorawit Narupiti (Chulalongkorn University, Thailand) and Dr. Agachai Sumalee (Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong). The list of the organizations in which total 57 audiences attended the seminar is shown below:
|Organization||Number of audience|
|Royal Thai Survey Department||1|
|Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning||3|
|Department of Land Transport||4|
|Department of Highway||1|
|The Department of Aviation||2|
|Department of Rural Roads||2|
|Bangkok Mass Transit Authority||1|
|Airport of Thailand Public||1|
|Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand||2|
|The State Railway of Thailand||3|
|PCBK International Co., Ltd||5|
|Embassy of Japan||1|
|King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi||11|
The topics in which the audiences were interested
|Topic||Number of interested|
|Urban Bus Planning and Management||17|
|Grass-Roots ITS – Regional ITS of Kochi Prefecture in Japan –||11|
|Symbolization of Intersections using Alphabet Signs||14|
|Evaluating Social Problems using Transport Simulation||20|
|Urban Road Safety Challenge||17|
|State-of-Art of Traffic Accident Reconstruction Technology||9|
|Micro-Simulation of Freight Agents in Supply Chain for Modeling Urban Freight Movement||11|
|A Safety Analysis Based on Driver Decisions when Acquiring Signal Change Information||8|
|Space Syntax Approach to Estimate the Risk of Traffic Accidents||9|
|Development of Traffic Information Center in Bangkok||10|
|Incident Detection Based on Short-Term Travel Time Forecasting||11|
* Note: Number of interested from questionnaire
Additional desired seminar topics:
- Suitable investment in transportation safety.
- Practical technology in present and future for safety.
- ITS applied in BKK.
- Simulation for transport planning in Thailand.
- Effect to road safety by other modes of transportation (rail or marine).
- Principles and tools for road weather.
- Rail-road level crossing accident.
- cycling vehicle accidents
- Road safety activities in Japan.
- Post accident management.
- Telecom role in road safety.
- Statistics of accident of Thailand in 5 years past.
- The place is too far from the town.
- Time is a bit short in some interesting contents.
- If would be better if the meeting can be held in the place around MRT or BTS station.
- The contents are good in general if possible make an air transport compared urban safety in feasible.
- The seminar is good in general. If the topic could cover the linkage of bus system with air and marine it would be very beneficial and interesting.